Saturday, September 17, 2005

Starting Out...

Hmmm... so I've finally joined the blogging revolution, after several years of wondering why people do it. To be honest I'm still wondering why people do it, but what better way of finding out. I suspect it won't be more than a couple of weeks before I decide to give up and try out a new project, but in the meantime maybe I'll work out why so many people think it's such a good idea.

Currently I'm waiting for my wife to awaken - my habitual weekend morning pursuit - passing the time checking email, surfing the web and (in a few seconds at least) listening to some music. In her defence (and that's defence with a c because I'm British) she's much better than she used to be, and generally by around 9 or 10 she's up.

I'm feeling a bit at a loose end because I was going to go running this morning, but I hurt my back playing Ultimate (more about what that is later) on Tuesday and while I'm able to go about life pretty much as normal, sport seems like a bad idea. Worse still, I've completed all the urgent tasks on my to do list, so I'm really just treading water.

That's better - I've now got "Try Not to Breathe" by R.E.M. playing. I really should remember to play music while surfing the web. Since I pretty much stopped running (over a year ago to concentrate on Ultimate - don't worry you'll find out what that is soon enough) I don't get to listen to music very often. I find listening to music distracts me when doing something that requires almost any level of concentration, so I don't listen at work, and most of the rest of the time my wife (Hazel) is around, so I tend to talk to her instead. I do own an mp3 player, but I can never remember to take it with me, or change the songs (so difficult...).

This morning I've been looking at software for my phone (a Nokia 6600 - my first decent phone, although it's now almost a year old) with a little success. I try to do that every month or two to see what new stuff has arrived. I've also got a background task to look at Python (a programming language) in order to see whether I can do more with my phone - it's basically a small computer, so I really do some more programmy stuff on it. Nokia released Python a few months ago, much to my disappointment because there was also talk of support for Perl (which I already know from work and home CGI programming) but that's still in Beta. Ah well - an excuse to learn something new.

I think that's enough for now, expect future posts to tell you what Ultimate is, brush on programming (don't worry that's just my job, I'm unlikely to cover it much), talk about travel (the way I spend all the money I earn) and maybe contain a little Spanish (which I've now been learning for 18 months).

Hasta luego

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home